I want to go back to College to study

  • 12 Apr 2008 16:44:39
  • South Africa


i currently work for a solicitor and have done so for the past 8 years. now my children are at school i want to go back to college and complete my law courses to be able to become a paralegal (like a solicitor but a little less qualified). if i do this is it allowed in islam? i will be doing things like sorting out people's divorces and debts and things like that. i am female so that may be an issue as well.


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

In principle, a woman should stay within the confines of her home. She will be maintained by her father if she is unmarried.

If there is no one to maintain her, then she may leave the confines of her home to work and earn an income. In doing so, she should try her level best to adhere to the laws of hijab. There is no prohibition in Shariah for a female to study on condition no laws of Shariah are violated in the cause of that, for example, hijab, intermingling or sexes etc. You should keep the above principles in mind when making a decision.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Fatwa Department

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this answer belong only to the author and do not in any way represent or reflect the views of any organizations to which he may be affiliated with. The opinions and educational information proffered in this communication are based on the jurisprudential understanding and available knowledge of the author. Given that contemporary issues and interpretations of contemporary issues are subjective in nature, another scholar may reach different juristic inferences and conclusions to those as expressed by the author. Whilst every effort has been taken to ensure total academic integrity and honesty, the author is open to corrective measures based on sound academics and juristic inferences. The Shari’ah ruling given herein is based specifically on the specific scenario in question. The author bears no responsibility towards any party that acts or does not act on this answer and is exempted from any and all forms of loss or damage. This answer may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent from the author. Any or all links provided in our emails, answers and articles are restricted to the specific material being cited. Such referencing should not be taken as an endorsement of other contents of that website.